Commentary: The Fuplers, Mom on Facebook

by Matt Koval

Not that The Fuplers are any sort of cinematic masterpiece, but I thought you might be interested in hearing where this particular idea came from, as well as how to shoot a one-person-show. Here’s the original video.

This is the first of many videos I’ll be making for my blog only. Thanks for tuning in! (And thanks for sitting through the ads – they help support my flicks.)

{ 49 comments }

mkoval October 10, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I use Final Cut Pro, but just about any program can do the basic cuts that I make.

mynameisyoung October 9, 2010 at 8:30 pm

What video editor do you use to make your videos
BTW : i like your videos very much

HeyHeyHey! September 9, 2010 at 8:21 am

Dude ur awesome, I tried making a home video, with three triplets, one had glasses, the other didn’t but had braces and another one didn’t have glasses … I think…

christine August 31, 2010 at 6:12 am

i absolutely luvvvvvv the fuplers. ~ <3 i look forward to every single episode. :)

mkoval August 23, 2010 at 9:19 am

Hi Jamie. Thanks! It depends- The Fuplers take over a week, but the video blogs, etc. probably just a couple days (I write them out first). It all depends on the production elements required.

mkoval August 23, 2010 at 9:14 am

Thanks HappiJun. Yes, eye line is very important and YES, making videos can be very tedious! :) Shirts coming soon…

Jamie August 13, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Hey, in an attempt not to be cliche, I’ll hold the “LOVE THE VIDEOS!!” excitement and just say, its cool knowing what goes on behind the scenes in movie-making :)

How long does it normally take to make a video anyway? Keep up the good work!!!
(and my entire family cracked up when Lindsay was humming in the background of the facebook vid, clever… haha)

ParkJunHee August 7, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Thank you for this video clip! I didn’t know there was such thing as eye line which is actually very important. Your 4 in 1 acting was so good and hilarious that I thought making clips would be easy. Thinking back, making videos seems to be tricky..

I am a huge fan of Fuplers, and looking forward to see the cool t-shirt!

mkoval July 15, 2010 at 7:05 am

Thank you, Ana. I bet you could get creative with your home movies. :)

Aana July 13, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I think everything you do is great. You are just so at ease behind the camera. I’ll probably never make anything beyond home movies of my kids, but I enjoy learning something about what you do to create your awesome videos. Keep up the good work!

J July 10, 2010 at 8:40 pm

u have a wife D: ???
damn it

mkoval July 6, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Hi Reena. There’s really no reason not to start experimenting with the camera. You don’t even have to show anyone. My advice for a good way to start is to record the voice-over of your stories first (you read them, or someone else with a nice voice). Then, start shooting images that relate to the story. It doesn’t need to be a complete reenactment — just relevant visuals. In editing, merge those images with the voice-over, and there’s your first film! :)

reena paredes July 5, 2010 at 8:47 am

Hello! Matt. My name is Reena and I’m from the Philippines, I am a mother of two kids and I really love to write stories. It’s been four years since I became interested in watching film making videos and I know that if I’m persistent enough and knowledgeable enough I can make my stories come to life. But I have a little problem because I know that I am not an expert on this and I’m scared to even start filming. I just want to ask you…can someone like me be able to pull this off, I mean with what I know through video tutorials…is that enough for me to be confident to start filming?

yuki jung July 4, 2010 at 9:41 pm
yuki jung July 4, 2010 at 9:39 pm

just a healthy suggestion,,,why not have a vid teaming -up with Mychonny (an asian neigbor family) he’s also a filmmaker hehehe….i bet fuplers and his family would surely be a blast….it will be a gud neighbor episode hehehehe

Eddie Bass July 2, 2010 at 5:53 am

You should put subtitles for other languages…

Greets from Brasil !

mkoval June 30, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Thanks for the ideas, Jenn! I think one of the older episodes had “sloppy joe night” or something. I believe that was the colon-cleansing episode. :)

mkoval June 30, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Hey thanks Alex!

alexandrojv June 28, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Well I remember when you wished me happy birthday on facebook! by then I noticed that my facebook circle was getting out of just my buddies, but it was really nice though :)

Great director’s commentary, way better than actual movies!

Josh June 27, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I usually just consolidate my friends list every couple o’ months. =P

jenn June 27, 2010 at 12:13 pm

or maybe one of your fans suggested a facebook episode… ;o) love ya ! stellar ! never disappointing !!!

what about a food themed night??? for example: our family has meatball mondays and taco tuesdays. my kids really, really enjoy looking forward to it and count down the days to their favorite night. it would be interesting and maybe a challenge (though i doubt it because you are so very talented) to pass plates of tortillas, tomatoes, cheese, a taco meat bowl and then a tofu bowl… lindsey could love the “cheeeeeeetttthhhe” bowl and “thour cream” and there could be some fun with the correct pronunciation of “GUACAMOLE” ! it would be a nice change to see even kevin excited about a taco night or a meatball night. if it were meatball night, you could pass around the pasta, someone could serve lindsey pasta (it would be cute to see her excited face watch a hand come down and serve pasta) passing a bowl of meatballs, parmigiana regiana cheese and hearing everyone try to say parmigiana regiana… just some ideas. love y’all matt!!! keep up the excellent work!

Joe June 26, 2010 at 11:44 am

One thing I noticed was the cat was cleaning itself, then asleep, then cleaning itself, then back to sleeping. I like the background and miss the stopped clock.
It is a great episode and was along time waiting for last episode.
Also notice Facebook on the title, but Fasebook on the phone.

Kevin E. Ivey June 26, 2010 at 8:04 am

FUP Lers!

WebNet June 26, 2010 at 4:51 am

Yahoo!! Mat is back! Fuplers is back! Mat, I adore your All works, so please stay in tune, and I wish you a lot of viewers, and prosperity ;) of your channel and “pocket”, because everybody know, without $ you can’t do a lot for long term. GOOD LUCK!

mkoval June 25, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Thank you, Azzah! Say hi to the fam for me.

mkoval June 25, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Yeah, Jeffrey, you’re probably right. But I don’t want my 9 year old nephew unfriending me! :)

mkoval June 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Slater- that’s called “movie magic”. Doesn’t always look like that!

mkoval June 25, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Yep, that’s why Dean is the first character I record. Then I go shave! :)

mkoval June 25, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Thanks Joey. Eye-line can get really tricky, especially when characters walk around, etc., but yeah, it’s pretty important.

Joey June 25, 2010 at 8:13 am

Thanks for your commentary and that instruction on eye-line! I’m a filmmaker myself and I must admit, eye line was one thing I take for granted. Thanks for bringing back the Fuplers–I am a YT fan of yours ;) ~JoeJumps4Fun

Mitchell June 25, 2010 at 5:36 am

So do you have to grow your stubble first when you want to film Dean (the father)? That’s gotta be hard cause then you will need to wait for it to grow again if you need additional shots after doing the other characters.

nadhiaa June 25, 2010 at 5:14 am

you’re married?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Amanda June 25, 2010 at 4:52 am

hey mr.matt!i love your new video,the Fluper family.hehe..can’t wait for your next vd.

Slater June 25, 2010 at 4:20 am

Your desk/workstation is all neat as a pin. Hate you.

Love the Fuplers, though. Great writing.

REPACOL June 24, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Hey Man, your latest video just made my day… my favorite part was the tension part, when Lindsay is humming the background music… Caught me unguarded, my saliva just exploded all over my monitor… hahaha! Very nice man

Jeffrey June 24, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I know what you mean about Facebook freeze. But you know what, I’ve come to realize that if they don’t know me by now then they should just un-friend me if they’re going to feel offended by what I’m going to type in as my status update. They are not obligated nor required to comment on everything I post. There’s this nice feature about “hiding” feeds from certain person. There’s a way I can post something vague and still get my point across, so that’s been working for me.

Erica June 24, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I TOTALLY know what you mean about the facebook freeze. I’ve actually started deleting some of the people i feel self-conscience around so i can be myself in my status message.

Love the fulpers!
-Erica

Ted June 24, 2010 at 4:15 pm

That shelf looks like it’s not quite strong enough for your monitor. That sag is making me nervous.

Also, you might want to keep it quiet about being married. The groupies aren’t going to want to hear that.

EBrenry June 24, 2010 at 2:56 pm

The tight shot of Dean doing the fingers/eyes/pointing gesture was fab! If it doesn’t suit Matt Koval, it certainly suits Mr. Fupler!

Azzah June 24, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I love your videos I mean every details is appreciated !
I even ask my family to join me while watching your videos! yes I watch them more than once that’s right .. I watch over and over I love Fuplers you are so amazing !
btw you are so handsome ;)
I wish you best of luck and I can’t wait for the other episode .. I even send the link to all my friends !!!!!
thanks for your amazing channel

we all love you and my regards to your wife :)

mkoval June 24, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Excellent, thank you. I’ll tell Kevin about that. ;)

mkoval June 24, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Haha. Actually, if you watch the video again, there’s a chip of paint missing on the wall next to Kevin’s head — that’s from ripping off the tape too fast!

Tess June 24, 2010 at 11:54 am

Facebook actually makes it pretty easy to hide certain status updates and postings from certain people. That’s how I get around awkwardness with my family, etc. You can just put all of the people who you don’t want to fully disclose everything to in a “group” together (via “edit friends”), and before you post your status you click on the little image of the padlock on the bottom right of the box, choose “customize” and put that you want it to be visible to everyone except that group of people. It’s an annoying process, but is becoming increasingly necessary as more people gain access to your profile.

On a similar vein, by sorting your friend list into groups you can control just how much everyone can see of your profile. Maybe you don’t want coworkers to see your relationship status. Maybe you want to keep anything your friends post on your wall private from your mother, or to hide a photo album from her. Very helpful. :)

Christine June 24, 2010 at 11:52 am

well at least you have the blue tape, while as I have been picking smudges on the wall for my eye line. I’m probably all off in lots of places — just guessing as I go along! eeesh… hahah Bout time I get some pro tips from MK :-)

Erin Jeskey June 24, 2010 at 11:07 am

I really enjoy your work! thanks for the “behind the scenes” look… Keep new stuff coming…I will definately be watching! :)

Robert June 24, 2010 at 10:10 am

Thanks for the new video. Looking forward to seeing more. Best of luck.

646guy June 24, 2010 at 9:52 am

WIFE!?!? Sigh…okay fine…me and the BF still think you’re hot…. :)

Arturs June 24, 2010 at 9:35 am

haha great
I love the flupers and hoping more will come

charlene June 24, 2010 at 9:14 am

My daughter and I agreed to let each other be free with our speech.
It goes both ways.
You may not be comfy with something your mom writes b/c its not cool.

So I dont get on her and she doesnt get on me.

But it is a pain when you dont want to “offend” anyone.

I try not accept those I think will get offended easily.
I politely give them my home email and tell them they can communicate with me that way. LOL

PLEASE KEEP THE FUPLERS COMING!

{ 1 trackback }